Sunday, February 14, 2010

Olympic coverage!

So I’ve been keeping up with the Olympics and been getting in the spirit for cheering on my country. But on Friday, a tragic accident happened just hours before the Opening Ceremony of the 2010 Winter Olympics. A Georgian Luger lost control with his speed turning in corner 16 where he was quickly thrown from the track. He was pronounce dead shortly after. I was deeply saddened to hear such news but I was happy to see the country of Georgia walk in the Opening Ceremony where they got a standing ovation. It was a heart warming moment and showed the world did care and did mourn the loss of the Georgian Luger. It was his first Olympic appearance and was only 21 years of age.

On a happier note and keeping with my country of Canada, Ladies’ Ice Hockey had a blow out win over Slovakia with a record win of 18 – 0. Canada also won their first medal which happens to be Silver. It was won my Jenn Heil who competed in Ladies’ Moguls. She was in first but was short lived as American born ,Hannah Kearnney, beat out Jenn for Gold. But our country is still so proud! Jenn Heil even made Trending Topic on Twitter. That’s major! Amazing job Hannah and Jenn!

There was another thing I loved about the Olympics and it had to do with the Opening Ceremony. Seeing that I am part Aboriginal as well as Swedish (but this is about my Aboriginal background), I was proud to see the multiple tribal dancers performing as the athletes walked to the main stage. And to have their moment as Nelly Furtado and Bryan Adams were performing, I was amazed and proud. Proud and Pride are my most used words when the Olympics roll around ever 2 years. Simply because I’m proud of all the Canadians competing in suh events.

Good luck and congratulations to all the athletes of all countries in the Olympics.

Much love, B.

[Via http://brittanyra.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment