Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Hindsight

We thought it was safe up here. People said it would be safe.

When the outbreak occured, there was a migratory boom moving up north. The Canadian border guard brought in the military and even they had to give up after a while. In hindsight, I guess they should have just started shooting to kill. But you know what they say about hindsight.

A lot of folk who came up didn’t have a penny to their name. And even if they did, there’s not a lot of housing to go around. Some folk tried to build their own houses, buying materials from the city and cutting up the forests. BC residents have had a huge escalation in break-ins, robberies, and murders. A lot of people have died just for some squatters to have some food and shelter. Of course, the military has been cracking down on this, but there’s only enough of them to protect the richer burbs. Overcrowded is a huge understatement. It’s like trying to squish a third of the Americas into a few tiny encampments.

I came up in my ‘04 Silverado. She’s reliable. Only got a few dents in it from stray deer and moose attacks. You never want a run-in with a moose. Drive too slow and they’ll catch up with you. Drive too fast and you might hit one and total your vehicle. Moose ain’t pushovers. You get your vehicle stranded out here, you’re a dead man. One day, driving down the rode, I saw one just standing there, its ribs all exposed and its face torn away. You see something like that, it’s hard to believe. Your reaction times slow a bit. Almost hit it. Scared the crap outta my wife. She chewed me out good for that one. But come on! It’s a dead damn moose walking around!

My wife keeps me sane. She keeps the night watch because she says she has better eyes ‘n me. I know she likes to go to sleep watching the sun rise each morning. The real reason is simply that she’s too afraid to sleep at night. I can’t blame her. I have trouble sleeping sometimes, too, knowing that those creatures are out there.

It’s weird we didn’t think about it. It’s Hollywood, I guess. We always think of zombies as being people, you know? And people zombies’d never last out in this cold. But all the deer and wildlife out here have coats that just shed the snow like it was nothing. People farther up north have to deal zombie polar bears. I don’t envy them. And I’ve only heard rumors about the mosquitoes in the Bayou. They say that’s just one big dead zone. I guess it could be worse, but it definitely could have been better. Ah, but you know what they say. Hindsight’s a bitch.

[Via http://awesomepie.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment