Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Me Time??

Do you get any ‘me’ time?

Ha.  ‘Me’ time?  Um, no.  I’ve got two children, a husband and a dog.  There are 24-hours in the day, and I like to spend at least six of those catching as many zzz’s as I can.

Okay, I suppose I do have ‘me’ time – those six broken hours of slumber are all to me, myself and I; however, the reality is, even in my sleep, one ear is on alert.

From the moment Miss S was born, I wanted ‘me’ time, but it was a struggle to figure out when it worked.  I wasn’t about to give up one second of slumber, so it came after my husband finished putting Miss Q to bed.

I always felt like my hour was under scrutiny, like I had to rush through my shower, internet use and forgo my TV shows to get back to Miss S, so my husband could finish the dishes and attempt his own ‘me’ time.

How true, the saying, “If Mama ain’t happy…”  But the reality was (is) I was (am) still the primary caregiver to the bundle of snuggles, Miss S.  Because of this, I couldn’t afford the luxury of ‘me’ – I was lucky to get an hour.

Now, those crazy-hazy first three months are behind us (sniff) and Miss S is sleeping in the early evening (beside me as I type, in fact).  ‘Me’ time is upon me, right?  Sort of.

This time with Miss S is too precious to pump and go.  First of all, I hate pumping.  Second of all, where would I go?

In my delicious dreams, I go to Mexico… with my girls – hey, I’m on mat-leave, who says you have to stay in the same city the whole year?  When I mentioned this to my husband, he was all too quick to say, “Go.”  Talk about a ‘me’ time present for him.

The fact is, I dream of traveling with them; three girls conquering the world.  The reality of even shopping with them is I end up breastfeeding Miss S in the car, while Miss Q has a snack.  That would make for a slow drive across Canada.

My simple dream for ‘me’ time is an hour of cardio – something a little more sweaty than walking with a toddler, a baby and dog around a muddy trail.

Yesterday, I loaded the girls into the double Chariot with the explicit directions to Miss Q that Mummy was going for a walk, and she was going to get to sit with her friends in the stroller.  It took moderate convincing, but Miss Q was game once her four stuffies were snuggled beside her and her dozing sister.

My ‘me’ time: pushing a double stroller around the neighbourhood.

We were 10 minutes out when I realized an hour was too ambitious.  Miss S woke with a vengeance and I was forced to turn the ship around.

‘Me’ time, when you’re not willing to compromise face-time with your daughters, is a gradual experience.  Sure, I miss being able to walk out the door without the kitchen sink, but what I’m privy to day-in and day-out is worth the ‘me’ time wait.

[Via http://cautiousmum.wordpress.com]

No comments:

Post a Comment