Thursday, November 19, 2009

Week 9

This week i have been asked to use different search engines to construct a list of key phrases that describe my chosen e-commerce site. I will then have to compile a list of twelve most popular keywords/phrases that would enable users to find the site more frequently.

I started of by using Google search-based keyword tool. I typed in my site, www.hollisterco.com and it brought up a list of the most popular results. Top of my list was in fact my main competitor, Abercrombie & Fitch, it had the top search with 5,400 monthly searches. Then Hollister Co. womans skinny pants and stretch pants.

Below is a screenshot of my search:

Next i used Google Insight to search for different keywords relating to my website, the tool generated a graph for me, that shows over a period of time. The 5 keywords i used were:

  1. Hollister
  2. So Cal
  3. Laguna
  4. T-Shirts
  5. Pants

On my regional interest for Hollister Co, United States was the most popular with Canada coming second, i expected this as the brand is an American company.

Below is a screenshot of my search:

Finally i will use the Google Adwords Tool, i typed in my chosen e-commerce website, it gave me a list of  keywords and phrases. This website wasn’t very helpful as it returned a list of keywords from “Jc Penny”, this has no relevance to Hollister Co.

Below is the screenshot of my search:

 

 After using the three tools i found Google search-based keyword tool the most useful, as it returned some keywords that actually has relevance to my site. I found the other two sites not useful as it didn’t have much relevance or keywords about Hollister Co.

Having using Google search-based keyword tool as it was the only site to compile a list of keywords, the top 12 keywords were:

  1. Skinny Pants
  2. Stretch Pants
  3. Super Skinny Jeans
  4. Stretch Belts
  5. Classic Jeans
  6. Laguna Jeans
  7. Skinny Legged Jeans
  8. Jake Cologne
  9. Ankle Jeans
  10. Lightweight Scarves
  11. Classic Skirts
  12. Dark Skinny Jeans

If im being honest, these were the top 12 searches that i have retrieved, but i don’t think they have much relevance to Hollister Co. these are all specific pieces of clothing and if i was to search for them on Google, or any search engine, they could bring up a list of different websites. I didnt really find these sites to be much use. Some keywords, such as “Laguna” and “Jake Cologne” may return searches from Hollister Co. but “Skinny Jeans” and “Classic Skirts”  will return searches from many clothing websites.

No comments:

Post a Comment